Wednesday 11 December 2013

NPG - Taylor Wessing

I went on Tuesday to London to the National Portrait Gallery to see the Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize. I did see some good work there but I think last year's exhibition was better. There is some work that I don't understand why it is exhibited but anyway, it's about luck as well in the end.

The first artist/image that drew my attention was Vincent Voignier with Olivia.



The image is part of a series called "Creature of the night" . Voignier asked all of his subjects, who went to the best techno club in Berlin the previous night to pose against the fence. He chose the fence because people were supposed to queue along the fence to get inside the club. 

Looking at all the images, I believe he did choose the best one. I do like the way the girl poses against a common fence. There is a bit of tension in her arms and legs. Her look also creates some tension and a atmosphere. I like the simplicity of the image and her hair blown by the wind. It creates a nice effect and some sort of mystery as we can only see one eye and her look is very intense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment