Friday 29 November 2013

Jeff Wall

I am going to start with this image by Jeff Wall as it is my favourite.  The first thing that I want to mention is that I believe his work is done backwards if that makes sense. Usually, images have a story behind but I believe that his photos don't. they are just taken in a chosen moment, they are staged.

This one in particular is amazing. We see this black man with his back facing the camera and the ceilling above his head is full of light bulbs plus other bits and bobs around his room. It is chaotic and cluttered. Everything is cramped in that small room. Somehow, I believe that the fact that his back is facing the camera is connected to the fact that his room is illuminated by lots of light bulbs. Maybe it's about showing his face because he is hiding from the camera, he is working on something and the light is just showing his face without being interrupted. I do like it!!!


The second image is about solitude again and loneliness. I thing Wall manages to construct that scene very well and makes you connect with the subject's state. The chairs are positioned very odd, the angle is very weird, the cabinets are open, there is salt on the table and an ashtray, we see crumpled brown paper on top of the fridge. There is evidence of action and movement but at the same time there is the man under the table he looks ruined, exhausted. The composition of the image is very good and it makes you stay connected with the image.


Great work by Jeff Wall!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment